Alaska cannabis marketing regulations for cannabis businesses.
3 AAC 306.360. Restriction on advertising of marijuana and marijuana products.
(a) A retail marijuana store may have not more than three signs, visible to the general public from the public right-of way, that identify the retail marijuana store by its business name. A sign may be placed in the retail marijuana store’s window or attached to the outside of the licensed premises. The size of each sign may not exceed 4,800 square inches.
(b) An advertisement for marijuana or a marijuana product may not contain a statement or illustration that
(1) is false or misleading;
(2) promotes excessive consumption;
(3) represents that the use of marijuana has curative or therapeutic effects;
(4) depicts a person under 21 years of age consuming marijuana; or
(5) includes an object or character, including a toy, a cartoon character, or any other depiction designed to appeal to a person under 21 years of age, that promotes consumption of marijuana.
(c) A retail marijuana store may not place an advertisement for marijuana or a marijuana product, except as provided in (a) of this section,
(1) within 1,000 feet of the perimeter of any child-centered facility, including a school, a child care facility or other facility providing services to children, a playground or recreation center, a public park, a library, or a game arcade that is open to persons under 21 years of age;
(2) on or in a public transit vehicle or public transit shelter;
(3) on or in a publicly owned or operated property;
(4) within 1,000 feet of a substance abuse or treatment facility; or
(5) on a campus for postsecondary education.
(d) A retail marijuana store may not use giveaway coupons as promotional materials, or conduct promotional activities such as games or competitions to encourage sale of marijuana or marijuana products.
(e) All advertising for marijuana or any marijuana product must contain each of the following warnings:
(1) “Marijuana has intoxicating effects and may be habit forming and addictive.”;
(2) “Marijuana impairs concentration, coordination, and judgment. Do not operate a vehicle or machinery under its influence.”;
(3) “There are health risks associated with consumption of marijuana.”;
( 4) “For use only by adults twenty-one and older. Keep out of the reach of children.”;
(5) “Marijuana should not be used by women who are pregnant or breast feeding.”
For more information, please refer to Chapter 306. Regulation of the Marijuana Industry.
To ensure compliance, follow us on social media or join The Kush Chronicle newsletter for updated regulations.